Tuesday, March 2, 2010

In Actuality

Here is what I ended up actually replying (if you have not read the previous post, do that before you read this--it'll make much more sense):
You seem like a really intelligent, thoughtful, interesting person, and therefore I am truly shocked that you are concerned about my working with HIV positive patients. You are not a bad person, merely uninformed. Your preoccupation is quite UNreasonable, however, as the only ways to transmit HIV are through blood, sexual fluids and breast milk. There are no exceptions. Condoms are very effective at preventing transmission. While there is, I suppose, a bit of an elevated risk in working in a health clinic with the needles used to draw blood there, I do not treat patients--I just provide emotional support. In my personal life, I neither use IV drugs nor have unprotected sex, so my risk of having HIV is actually extremely low.

While you sound like someone who is, in some ways, very compatible with me, I find it very difficult to get past your allowing yourself to be so incredibly uninformed about even the basics of HIV transmission. I do wish you the best, and if you have any questions, or would like to meet as friends, I would be up for that.

Take care,
Shannon

No comments:

Post a Comment