Thursday, July 22, 2010

Unit One: Passed

So I'm feeling like I've (finally!!) passed the first unit in being an adult. I found out Monday that I officially got the promotion that I'd been hoping for, and for a while basically knowing I had. But I haven't felt like I could officially be excited about it, nor exclaim it to the world. I like to wait until things are official to do that, you know? Just in the case that against all odds, someone actually reads this.

So my new position, which starts August 2nd, will be Assistant Coordinator for HIV Testing and Linkage to Care. That means I'll be managing grants, supervising a couple staff, possibly writing grants, as well as policies and procedures. Fun! It's so different than the previous job, I can't even really compare them, except that they're in the same center.

I'm super excited about getting to learn more about how the center runs from the inside and feeling more productive/important (although I'm also aware now that that "importance" is pretty much all about ego...hey, I'm young, I'm allowed to have an ego, right??). It certainly doesn't hurt I'm getting an increase in income. Yay!

So that is my big, boiling-over news. The other excitement (there's been quite a bit in the past couple of weeks) is a cross-country road trip I'm planning with my friend, Julie (former roommate, Julie). She's moving to LA and needed someone to drive with her and all her shit out there. I volunteered.

I'm somewhat conflicted about this trip because this was the week I was going to go to NC, but I also think it will be a rare opportunity in my life to drive cross-country, and spend some (hah, who are we kidding?? A SHIT-ton) time with my friend who's moving away, at least for now.

So those are some pretty stellar things happening. On top of that, I've launched into a whirlwind romance that I will not detail here, suffice to say it has pleasantly turned my world upside down, and I have somehow managed to continue to feel fully like myself, only maybe even more so. It's been pretty fantastic, and like some sort of chocolate icing on a cake that I'd been baking (the trips, job, new neighborhood). It kind of brings it all together.

In short--life is good. I'm trying to enjoy the brilliant part of all this, and not worry about when it will all come crashing down. But this time, I really do see that I have worked my butt off to get all this to work out, and it's great it's all happening at the same time, but it's all stuff I've really been waiting for and working towards. And now, I'm enjoying my delicious cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment