Thursday, July 8, 2010

Boredom

I used to get bored really easily. I do not anymore. This is mostly due to my fantastic little gadget, the iPhone. I recently downloaded the iBooks application, thinking I would literally never use it. And you know what? For a few days, I was right. And then, I decided to start reading "Eat, Pray, Love" on a whim, just the sample text and see how I liked the book and moreover, reading on my teeny little device. I suppose this was somewhat spurred by seeing the magical iPhone 4 in person, which is dumbly did with my friend, Matt, who was visiting for the weekend. I thought I didn't want one. I was so wrong. Because as awesome as my phone is, this one is seriously magical. Mostly the screen. I cannot explain this to you without showing you, but it looks like paper. That's the best way I can describe it. But after seeing it and realizing how magical it is, I was thankful to have my own phone anyway (strange reaction? yes. Am I grateful that I am able to come to this conclusion? Absolutely), because of all the awesome things it does. Also I know that some day, I will buy myself and iPhone 4. That day may be far off. Or maybe it will not. Regardless, it sort of inspired me to attempt to read a book with iBooks. And it may have been the book, but I was hooked. And bought the book on iBooks.

I have been voraciously reading it since--I'm on page 685 of 1105 (the "pages" are teeny). Wow. I did not expect to think this was so awesome. So, two of my problems with reading, apart from having trouble finding excellent books, is about comfort of being able to read, and for some reason, I do actually find the iPhone comfortable to hold. Not sure how I'd feel about the iPad. But I don't have one, so no worries. But more than that, I would always forget a book (left the most recent physical book I was reading on a bus, remember that??). But THIS book is INSIDE my phone! So whenever I have my phone, and it is not dying (which I have learned how to prevent with some simple energy-saving tips via Google), I have my book. This is awesome! I actually do think more than that, I seriously adore this book. I have fallen head over heels for Elizabeth Gilbert--I just think she's fabulous. And it's strange, because I've meant to read this book for quite some time, but it's so perfect for the place I'm in, and while it makes me really want to travel, it also makes me realize how far I've come. How much of what she's doing in the book, I've done in New York. Less the spiritual stuff, more the self-actualization and acceptance (which I think the spiritual stuff really is all about). So I am really enjoying this book, and the experience of not having to remember it, just having it with me at all times.

Other ways that the iPhone has prevented boredom/enhanced my life include solitaire, word warp (which I've found to improve my Scrabble skillz, much to my pleasant surprise), sudoku, reading the news via NY Times application or my RSS feed application, and of course the Facebook application. I would not know New York nearly as well without the help of the awesome map, and finding my way around the subway system with The Map application is much easier. I've loved being able to take pictures and immediately upload them to Facebook--it's made both the ability to take pictures with the phone and Facebook much more awesome. There are just so many amazing things that the phone, well, computer, is capable of, and it is seriously incredible that so much can be so small. I've also felt like it really has enhanced my life, as it has given me more access to podcasts of all flavors in addition to my music, and wonderful audiobooks as well. I just have used the heck out of this thing, and I adore it's capabilities.

Okay, done with the iPhone lovefest haha.

No comments:

Post a Comment